What is VSS? :
VSS is a service that runs on the server where the U:\ directory resides. Your My Documents folder should be redirected automatically to your U drive so VSS is also in place on files in your My Documents folder. VSS keeps multiple versions of files that are saved to the U drive. In the event of lost or deleted folders and files VSS allows clients to retrieve a previous version of the file or folder.
How do you use VSS?:
To Recover a deleted file
- Click on your Documents folder
- Right-click and select Restore Previous Versions.
- A list of versions of the folder will appear. Click on the folder with the date you believe the file was saved and click Open
- Verify the missing file is present. Close the window and click Restore
- Click Restore again and then click OK. The folder and files will be reset to the date of the folder selected.
To Recover a deleted folder
- Right-click on a blank space in the folder that has to be recovered. Go to Properties > Previous Versions.
- Select the preferred version of folder and click Copy… or Restore… We suggest choosing the Copy… option as this way you can test if the selected version is the one that you need.
- Simply choose the location to save the copy and click Copy.