- Step-by-step guide
- Step 1: Create Contact List
- Step 2: Go to Survey flow for your survey
- Step 3: Add New Step to Survey Flow
- Step 4: Select Authentication Protocol
- Step 5: Configure Authenticator
- Step 6: Move all survey blocks under Authenticator block.
- Step 7: Save Flow
Qualtrics can require survey participants to log in/authenticate using their UGA MyID and password before they can take your survey. This document will walk you through using this function.
Step 1: Create Contact List
Because you want to limit access to the form to a subset of CAS users, you have to create a list containing that subset of myID's.
Click "Contacts" from the top blue bar
Create Contact List
Click the "Create Contact List" Button and enter a name, and then click "Next".
By default, you are prompted to upload contacts from an excel or csv file. Please follow the specifications listed for the file. They even provide a sample file for you. If you are uncomfortable with constructing a file you can enter them manually by clicking the "Add Manually" option. External Data Reference is the only field you MUST fill out. This is the field where you enter the myID of each individual in the subset you are wanting to provide access to.
You will be using this contact list (or panel, as it is sometimes called) to restrict access to your form in a later step.
Step 2: Go to Survey flow for your survey
Click the Survey Flow button at the top of the screen.
Step 3: Add New Step to Survey Flow
Click the "Add a New Element Here" text on the next screen
Step 4: Select Authentication Protocol
Choose the Authenticator option
Step 5: Configure Authenticator
Enter the following settings into the Authenticator options.
- Set Authentication Type to "SSO"
- Make sure that "Associate Respondent With Panel" is checked. This is necessary if you want to limit access to certain CAS users.
- Set Select Library to "My Library:...." and then choose the Contact List you created in Step 1.
- If you want to capture (display) the user's myID on their responses, Check "Capture respondent identifying info"
- Click "Add embedded data" and enter "UserID" in the first field and "uid"
- Set SSO Type to "CAS"
- Set Hostname to "cas.uga.edu"
- Set Port to "443"
- Set URI to "/cas"
Step 6: Move all survey blocks under Authenticator block.
This will ensure that no parts of the survey will be accessible until the respondent logs in first. If any survey block(s) is above the authenticator, it will not require a login to access questions in those blocks.
Use the "Move" option on each of your survey blocks to click and drag each block under the new Authenticator area. This will ensure that no parts of the survey will be accessible until the respondent logs in first.
Step 7: Save Flow
Click Save Flow in the bottom right corner to save your settings.
Now go forth and distribute your survey link to the world, and only UGA faculty, students or staff with valid myID's in the contact list (panel) you associated the CAS authenticator with will be able to access it.