Franklin College has identified a critical need within the college for a reliable and robust backup solution for desktops. To fulfill this need, Franklin OIT has invested in the necessary enterprise-level storage hardware and backup software components to provide this service to all Franklin College units and corresponding college personnel for a cost-recovery rate. This service is currently based upon the on-premise Code42 software solution.
Benefits of Service
Benefits of Using Franklin OIT Data Backup Service (DBS) for desktops
- High Availability
- Redundant hardware and components for the backup management system
- Datacenter backed by UPS and generator
- Environment monitored for fail-over and performance
- High Performance
- Hardware refresh included
- Storage provided by enterprise components
- Enterprise server and networking hardware
- Network isolation of backup data streams
- Backup data streams are encrypted
- Restricted physical access to data storage, servers, and network hardware.
- Restricted access to backup portal for your site
- Self-managed options
- Manage your own backup schedules and retention periods
- Recover data on your own schedule
- Manage data usage to limit or reduce costs
- Monitor your backups for completion
- Self-managed options
Requesting Use and Support
Franklin College faculty and staff can request more information on data backup services by contacting the Franklin OIT Help Desk:
Franklin College faculty and staff can request support on data backup services by contacting the Franklin OIT Help Desk:
Current Rates for Service
UGA is currently evaluating Code 42 as a campus-wide desktop backup solution. The rates below are suspended for FY20 and may change in FY21 depending on negotiations between UGA and the vendor. Clients interested in participating in the pilot should contact Franklin OIT utilizing the methods above.
- Initial Data Backup Service Setup (one-time): $30/client ($150 Maximum)
- Data Backup Service storage use (billed annually): $218/Terabyte (TB)/year
- Annual Service Management and Support Options (select one):
- For units purchasing 5 or more clients: $150/year
- For units purchasing fewer than 5 clients: $30/client/year
- For standalone individuals: $30/client/year
Clients are responsible for the following:
- Initiate requests for new service, change on existing service, or support for services via the Franklin OIT Help Desk.
- Purchase of any additional required items outside of this service, including, but not limited to, hardware, software, support services, warranty, cabling, licensing, or fees.
- Sign and return any associated forms for this service including Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), Proposal of Work (POW), and Statement of Work (SOW).
- Develop data management plans, disaster recovery plans, and business continuity plans as applicable.
- Manage the backup schedule and backup type per system
- Manage the data recovery processes
- An adequate data storage location must be provided for recovered data
- Manage backup reports and notifications
- Monitor and plan for backup storage allocations
- Utilize self-Help support available on the Franklin OIT Self Service Website
- NOTE: Limit of one support request per year at no cost, up to one hour. Additional support requests or time will be available at cost-recovery per request
- Maintain and support the storage and server hardware and infrastructure
- Maintain and support the product licensing for the software
- Provide instructional assistance to clients on use of the system:
- Documentation and examples on usage of the data backup services on the Franklin OIT Self Service Website.
- Indirect or direct initial setup training on how to use the service and may assist with one support request per year up to one hour.
- Data recovery requests, outside of self-service, and additional support will be available at cost-recovery rates.