Blackboard Collaborate is UGA's current online collaborative learning solution. Collaborate sessions can be setup and accessed inside and outside eLC by UGA users enrolled in courses, UGA users not enrolled in courses, and non-UGA users depending on the settings and permissions. Users may participate in live Collaborate sessions via computer, mobile device, or phone. Blackboard Collaborate also includes an archive feature that allows both audio and video recordings to be created for reviewing 15-30 minutes after a live session has ended.
The Whiteboard is the most commonly used tool (and default setting) in a Blackboard Collaborate session. The Whiteboard is used to display presentations and is where participants can interact, share images, write, and draw. By default, Moderators can use all the Whiteboard tools. They can manage the pages in the Whiteboard area, the content in those pages, and participant permissions to work in those pages. The following help document provides an overview of the Whiteboard tool as well as instructions for Loading Content, Adding Annotations, and Deleting Content.
Whiteboard Tool Components
- Whiteboard Action Bar - Contains the add/delete page buttons, the page options menu, and the page scaling menu.
- Collaboration Toolbar - Contains the Whiteboard, Web Tour, and App Sharing mode buttons.
- Whiteboard Mode button - clicking this icon will re-open the Whiteboard tool from another mode, such as Web Tour.
- Scaling Menu - Used to fit Whiteboard pages that are much larger or smaller to the content area
- Page Options menu - Opens the Page Explorer, a window that lists all of your Whiteboard pages for easy navigation
- Load Content Button - Loads external content, like PowerPoint slides, into a session
- Navigation Bar - Contains controls for navigating among Whiteboard pages
- Navigation Bar Options menu - Contains the option of turning off the Page Explorer
- Explore Mode button - Allows moderators to navigate to other pages while leaving Participants on the current page
- Follow Option - To make participants view the same page that you are viewing, enable Follow.
- Page Counter - Keeps track of what page you are viewing and how many pages there are
- Go To Page menu - If a session contains a lot of pages, this menu makes it easier to find particular ones
- Previous/Next page menu - Navigates to the next page or the previous page.
- Tools Palette - when permission is granted, anyone in the session can use the Tools Palette to write, draw, insert graphics, clipart, hyperlinks, or screen captures. and Moderators can load images, PowerPoint, OpenOffice and Whiteboard files.
Step 1: Load Content button
Select the Load Content button.
Step 2: Select file
From the Load Content window, select the file to load and click Open.
- PowerPoint (.ppt or .pptx) slides will be converted to static images and uploaded as individual pages.
- Images (.jpeg) can be uploaded as a individual pages or added to current page
The Tools Palette has a variety of Pointer Tools that can be useful to draw attention to important items or annotate on the Whiteboard.
Choosing a Pointer
Step 1: Expand pointer tool options
Click and hold the Pointer Tool until it expands to show all available pointer options.
Step 2: Select Pointer
Click on the pointer you wish to use.
Step 3: Make your pointer visible to others
To make the pointer visible to others, you must do one of the following:
- Hold down the left or right mouse button as you move the pointer (releasing the button will stamp an image of the pointer on to the Whiteboard.
- Double-click anywhere on the Whiteboard and then move the pointer to allow the pointer to follow the mouse without having to hold down a button.
- To add a new whiteboard page, select New Page button in the Whiteboard Action bar
- To delete a whiteboard page, select Delete Page button in the Whiteboard Action bar