Blackboard Collaborate is UGA's current online collaborative learning solution. Collaborate sessions can be setup and accessed inside and outside eLC by UGA users enrolled in courses, UGA users not enrolled in courses, and non-UGA users depending on the settings and permissions. Users may participate in live Collaborate sessions via computer, mobile device, or phone. Blackboard Collaborate also includes an archive feature that allows both audio and video recordings to be created for reviewing 15-30 minutes after a live session has ended.
Audio and Video can be transmitted and received by any participant in a Blackboard Collaborate session. Although more users may participate with video and audio, Blackboard displays the six most recent speakers (video or audio) in the preview window and a maximum of six speakers can broadcast simultaneously. The settings and options for both Audio and Video can be found on the Audio & Video Panel. The following help document provides an overview of the Audio & Video panel, steps for audio setup, video setup, and information about activity and permissions indicators.
The Audio and Video Panel
- Expand/Collapse button - this shows/hides the Audio & Video tool window
- Options menu - Settings for microphones, speakers, cameras, telephony and more can be found here
- Audio Setup Wizard - provides step-by-step instructions for setting up speakers and mics correctly
- Video Preview Button - allows you to check your video quality prior to transmission
- Transmit Video button - sends live video from your webcam to participants in a session
- Transmit Audio button - aka the "Talk" button, this sends audio from your mic to all participants in the session
Audio Setup and Transmission
Step 1: Run the Audio Setup Wizard
Before a session starts, we highly recommend running the Audio Setup Wizard to insure that the audio is configured correctly. From the Audio & Video panel, select the Audio Setup Wizard button.
Follow the instructions in the dialog boxes to:
- Select your audio output device (speakers)
- Adjust audio output level (volume)
- Select an audio input device (microphone)
- Adjust audio input level
Step 2: Complete the Wizard and check your audio
When you have completed the Wizard, click OK in the final dialog box to exit.
- Click the Talk button to turn your mic on/off
- The Talk button changes to display a microphone when activated
Step 1: Preview video
We highly recommend clicking the Video Preview button to check the video quality before transmission.
Step 2: Transmitting Video
When you are satisfied with the video quality, click the Transmit Video to broadcast to all participants in the room. button
The Transmit Video button changes to display a red Camera icon when activated.
Step 3: Ending video transmission
To end video transmission, simply click the Transmit Video button again.
Audio and Video Activity and Permission Indicators
- The Audio activity indicator appears when a participant's microphone has been turned on
- The Video activity indicator appears when a participant's web camera has been turned on
- indicates that the moderator has revoked Audio permission from this participant even though Audio permission is set globally to "on"
- indicates that the moderator has revoked Video permission from this participant even though Video permission is set globally to "on"
- indicates that the moderator granted Audio permission to this participant even though Audio permission is set globally to "off"
- indicates that the moderator granted Video permission to this participant even though Video permission is set globally to "off"